Thursday, May 14, 2015

"I Love You" - Why Is It So Hard To Say?

LoveThe four letter word by itself is just another word. Put an "I" before it and the word "you" after it and it becomes one of the most powerful phrases in the world. So powerful that people fear it. So powerful that people are afraid to even say it.
"I Love You" has the power to save lives as well as destroy lives. It can heal and it can hurt. It can make peace and cause wars. It possibly is the most powerful phrase in the entire universe.People often confuse the phrase, "I Love You," with "I'm In Love With You." They both share the word "love," but the context is completely different.

"I Love You" is one of the first phrases we learn to say as children. Yet, the older we get, the less comfortable we are saying it to one another. When a child says it to you, it's cute, it's sweet, it's adorable. When an adult who isn't family says it to you it becomes awkward, weird it makes us uncomfortable.

I wonder what the world would be like if we were less afraid of telling the people who are important in our lives that we love them. Not just family, but everyone we value.

I used to keep my "I Love You's" very guarded. I was more of the replier than the initiator." For some reason, adding the word "too"makes the phrase safer. I love you too. It's like saying "your welcome" after someone says "thank you." It's more of the proper thing to say - common courtesy - good manners. The "too" is kind of letting you off the hook.
My attitude about saying "I Love You," changed when I almost lost my life. I realized that there were so many people who I didn't say it enough to or even at all, who would never have known how important they meant to me if I did die. I was given a second chance and I want to take advantage of that and make sure I say "I Love you" to everyone I care about. The problem with that is that I care for almost everyone I meet, I truly do. But is that really a problem or is it the solution?

I'm not going to be afraid to tell people I love them - no, not anymore. I hope the people who love and care about me, aren't afraid to tell me either.

Just think how happy someone would be if all the people who cared about him/her said "I love you" to them. It would probably make their day wouldn't it. Now just think if a lot of people did that, if the entire world did that. That's a whole lot of happy people isn't it. I wonder what the world would be like if everyone was happy. I guess this time I'll be the initiator -
I LOVE YOU!  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog